A letter to my grandma

For the past few days we ( esp my mom --your daughter and me ) have been thinking about you. What fun we used to have? How Sanja is missing the experience of being with you.

I remember you as the 70th something kid playing  palankuli, parama padham. Fighting with your daughter when she cried you made some cheating moves , calling your grand daughter to settle the disput :P. Your kollu pethi is missing all this. wish you had lived some more years healthy to see me get married and provide one more team mate for the games .

The way we used to pull your legs when you were watching the mega serials. How you used to complain to my amma like a child - ava rendu perum enaku tv veka mathengara ...( those 2 are not keeping the tv for me).

The way you used to put food in our plate secretively ;) and say you had nothing to do with that extra food in our plate.

The affection you showed by make necklace type muruku (savories) for me for the festivals.

The way to adjusted to life as situations demanded. You had an orthodox upbringing and had to follow some but you waived them when you knew it didnt matter more than people. Amma still remembers how you kept aside all those ritual norms when she was sick and you took care of her .

The trips we took to Tirupathi where you will have only the  avul (beaten rice) as food since you wont eat outside food. But you allowed all of us to have whatever we want.

I still call  mama (uncle )place as Patti veedu ( grandma's home) though you are no longer there.

sanja sees your photo everyday at amma's place. And I tell her the sweet memories as stories to her.

The way you opened the home  for anyone . Your helping tendency. 

I really miss u patti.

And once you were gone , we felt a great loss , as if the main support beam has gone. You suffered a lot in the last few years, for which I would ask God why he makes good people suffer and then die.

Comments

  1. As I read this, I am reminded of my grandmom - paati aathukku poradhu, paati stealthily placing extra food on the plate and denying it, paati relaxing the rules with the times, paati's last few years' sufferings.. I miss mine too.. thanks for reminding me to miss her :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The baby gal turns mother

Pathiyam samayal

My thoughtful daughter